There is an Office web link on the right hand side of this Teacher Page under Pages.
Hello everyone, hope you had a nice weekend with your families. It was fantastic to meet with a lot you on Friday on Teams. We will see if more of us can’t meet up this coming Friday. Also, you can ask questions by posting on the Teams ongoing conversations too.
This week you can continue reading your own book, e book or audio book and take notes for a future book promo. I have included the website evaluation challenge again this week for those of you who haven’t had the chance to try yet.
In writing some new persuasive writing topic ideas are included as well as an explanation for you to begin planning your original essay/documentary idea you were working on before school closed. Under documents on this page is an Argument Organizer to start putting down your ideas (I realize many of you started this before we stopped). Mr. Bosma will be posting a video by Tuesday explaining this organizer and more this week. Make sure to check out Mrs. Hache's teacher page for Math too.
I will be contacting you this week, and if it isn't me, Mrs. Murphy will be contacting some of you. You can always email me and asking questions on my Teams page on Office 365 too.
Please email me email@example.com if students are having a difficulty with usernames or passwords.
Take care and stay Safe
Part A: Reading: There is a website critical thinking reading challenge this week.
Free Online Reading Choice Links are on Weblinks on my Teacher Page)
Reading Expectation: 8B 30 minutes a day (more if you wish, reading is also for enjoyment and an escape to get your mind off the world).
· This week continue with an individual reading of a book of your choice.
· Record notes on interesting, exciting, and what you feel are important parts of your book- Record in either a binder, duotang, on a Notes App on your cell phone, an ipad/tablet, lap top, or what ever works best for you.
**I know this was up last week, but not everyone had a chance to try it so it is here again to give you another week** Part of your 30 minute a day Reading this Week Can be the Website Evaluation Challenge- Reliable Sourcesfound on Mr. Bosma’s main Teacher Page and under documents on his page (The lower documents in red font on the page). Refresh our skills of determining what websites are reliable and accurate using checklists provided for you under the red document tab on Mr. Bosma’s page.
· Is this a Hoax? PDF checklist
· Website Credibility PDF checklist
Please type and hold the ctrl key and then left click on each website link and use the Website Credibility and Is this a Hoax? Checklists (under documents) to chose whether each site is Credible (reliable, real facts etc) or Nor Credible/Reliable.
Also, remember to write in your reasons why you made your choice. (This would come from your checklists)
Part B Writing Expectations this Week (Monday – Friday):
** Choose to write the best method and easiest method for writing –
Either a: Duotang/binder with paper, Notes on your cell phone, ipad, computer, what ever is the least stressful to you – Just try to save it.
(Choose, or your own topic, to write about 3 topics for this week. Take a photo, or type in and either email or put in Teams your favorite piece of writing this week)
· Please find Persuasive Strategies for Success sheet(PDF) under Mr. Bosma’s teacher page documents for your writing this week.
Persuasive Skill Writing Topics
· Tik Tok: Since all the physical distancing and quarantine occurred, it seems adults and teachers have gone all in on Tik Tok. You may even find Mr. Bosma on it at some time this week. So, the persuasive question to write about is, Due to the fact adults and teachers are now all over Tik Tok, is the trend and cool factor over?
· Persuasde yourself – Persuade yourself to try 3 skills or something you never had time for learning or hobbies to try (Guitar, cooking, baking, wood carving, chess?) Persuade yourself (not to self) about thy these skills or hobbies would be valuable and entertaining.
· An Entertainment Review- Write a review explaining why either a Series/Show, Movie, or game is worth checking out. Use your persuasive strategy sheet (PDF sheet under documents) to help write some detailed support and reasons or why someone should check out what you are promoting. This may be used for a larger assignment later on.
· Choose your own persuasive topics to write.
· ** Take 10 minutes to write and 5 minutes to Revise/Edit each day.
· ** Remember when revising/editing to use STAR – Substitute better words, Take out what is not needed, Add words, sentences, or punctuation, Rearrange your writing.
· *** Don’t get stressed about daily writing – email or through Microsoft Teams ask Mr. B questions. I will be checking in.
Persuasive Argument Essay/Documentary
· Start to write down the three main reasons you will use in defending your argument for the essay topic you were working on before school stopped. For now just write down point form (or draw it out on paper if you can’t write on the document or print) your observations and facts you already know for each reason.
· Next week we can work on collecting research. (unless you have time this week)
· Don’t worry about other perspectives block yet. (next week)
· Also, you don’t have to write your hook and thesis yet. It is only there to think about.
· Please post ( if you want to, you don’t have to) your favorite one piece of writing this week wither on your Class Microsoft Team’s page called 8Bosma (All we do is win)for all to see, or email it too me if you can. There is no need for extra stress at this time if that is not possible. It is ok.
· You can also ask questions to Mr. Bosma on the Microsoft Teams page.
Miss you all