Grade 7B and 7M Learning at Home with Mr. B – Week 1 April 6-9 (April 10th is Good Friday, a religious holiday for many to take time with your families)
There is an Office web link on the right hand side of this Teacher Page under Pages.
**Special Note to Parents/Guardians: The reading, writing and speaking curriculum activities for your child on this page are all suggestions for how they can continue to build on literacy skills. I realize as a parent myself that these are stressful times, and that I can’t be there as their teacher to help each student like in a classroom. Please allow them to do what they can and reach out to me by email (listed on my Teacher Page) if you have any questions. Take care and stay Safe.
Part A: Reading (Links for online books are under Weblinks on this page too)
If you have books or kindles (e readers) at home that is great.
If not, see the below free online e book and audio book links:
Free Online Reading Choices are: (The Links are also on Weblinks on my Teacher Page)
1. NB Public Library site (if students have a library card for e books and audio books)
NB E Library the department EECD has for schools at https://soraapp.com/
2. (Use your school computer user name and log in – may need to type nbss\ before your user name.)
**When you get to the page you search for school as New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
3. Audible (Audio Books)https://www.audible.ca/ - Scroll to the bottom of the home page and there is button on how Kids/Teens can listen to books for free. There are books to teen reading.
Reading Expectation: 7B 30 minutes a day and 7M 20 minutes(as you also have reading for F.I. (more if you wish, reading is also for enjoyment and an escape to get your mind off the world).
· This week just get back into individual reading of a book of your choice.
· Record notes on interesting, exciting, and what you feel are important parts of your book- Record in either a binder, duotang, on a Notes App on your cell phone, an ipad/tablet, lap top, or what ever works best for you.
· We will be building toward various different ways to publish book promos through technology eventually.
Part B Writing Expectations this Week (Mon – Thursday):
** Choose to write the best method and easiest method for writing –
Either a: Duotang/binder with paper, Notes on your cell phone, ipad, computer, what ever is the least stressful to you – Just try to save it.
Capturing this Time in History
You are living through an unprecedented moment in history. Stories about this period of time will be told for generations to come, so you can capture how this event is affecting you, your family, your school and your community.
I suggest that you start writing every day in an attempt to capture this history in any way you would like. I’ve listed some suggestions below, but feel free to come up with your own ideas. ** Share your favorite piece of writing with Mr. Bosma on Thursday by going to Office 365 through with Microsoft Teams or through your Email (if you can, don’t worry if that is not possible it is ok).
(Choose, or your own topic, to write about 3 or 4 topics for this week)
· Capture how your school year has been disrupted- what are you missing?
· Discuss how your daily life has been disrupted, or changed. What have you learned?
· Persuasive Skill Writing
· What have you been doing with your time?
· Be Persuasive: (Use the Persuasive Strategies for Success – There is a Word Document under Mr. Bosma’s Teacher Page under Documents. – Please be persuasive in explaining the best things you have been doing to keep your mind and body active, and what helps you relaxed and chill?
· Who are some everyday heroes that we are now noticing in our communities during this event – Hospital workers, first responders, grocery store workers, Food delivery and other businesses, and all other essential workers. More important than Youtube stars?
· Mr. Bosma always says we are to stuck on social media, but be persuasive to explain why social media video chats, face time etc. is so important now.
** Take 10 minutes to write and 5 minutes to Revise/Edit each day.
** Remember when revising/editing to use STAR – Substitute better words, Take out what is not needed, Add words, sentences, or punctuation, Rearrange your writing.
*** Don’t get stressed about daily writing – email or through Microsoft Teams ask Mr. B questions. I will be checking in.
The Office weblink for Office 365 is on Mr. Bosma’s Teacher page under Pages on the right.
Please post ( if you want to, you don’t have to) your favorite one piece of writing this week wither on your Class Microsoft Team’s page called 7B or 7M ELA (For Mr. Bosma) for all to see, or email it too me if you can. There is no need for extra stress at this time if that is not possible. It is ok.
You can also ask questions to Mr. Bosma on the Microsoft Teams page.
Miss all of you Grade 7s.
Sincerely, Mr. Bosma