Posted: April 20, 2020
There is an Office web link on the right hand side of this Teacher Page under Pages.
Hello everyone, hope you had a nice weekend with your families. Also, remember 7B and 7M have Microsoft Teams for Mr. Bosma on Office 365. You can ask questions by posting on the Teams ongoing conversations too.
This week you can continue reading your own book, e book or audio book and take notes for a future book promo.
In writing some new persuasive writing topic ideas are included as well as an explanation for you to begin planning your original essay/documentary idea you were working on before school closed. Under documents on this page is an Argument Organizer to start putting down your ideas (I realize many of you started this before we stopped). Mr. Bosma will be posting a video by Tuesday explaining this organizer and more this week.
Please email me email@example.com if students are having a difficulty with usernames or passwords.
Take care and stay Safe
Part A: Reading:
Reading Expectation: 7B 30 minutes a day 7M 20 minutes(time for French reading too) You can more if you wish, reading is also for enjoyment and an escape to get your mind off the world.
· This week continue with an individual reading of a book of your choice.
· Record notes on interesting, exciting, and what you feel are important parts of your book- Record in either a binder, duotang, on a Notes App on your cell phone, an ipad/tablet, lap top, or what ever works best for you.
Part B Writing Expectations this Week (Monday – Friday):
** Choose to write the best method and easiest method for writing –
Either a: Duotang/binder with paper, Notes on your cell phone, ipad, computer, what ever is the least stressful to you – Just try to save it.
(Choose, or your own topic, to write about 3 topics for this week. Take a photo, or type in and either email or put in Teams your favorite piece of writing this week)
· Please find Persuasive Strategies for Success sheet(PDF) under Mr. Bosma’s teacher page documents for your writing this week.
· An Entertainment Review- Write a review explaining why either a Series/Show, Movie, or game is worth checking out. Use your persuasive strategy sheet (PDF sheet under documents) to help write some detailed support and reasons or why someone should check out what you are promoting. This may be used for a larger assignment later on.
· What are you grateful for these days? With a lot of time spent home these days, what have you found yourself being grateful/thankful for more lately? Explain by being persuasive to let your audience know why it matters.
· False Information – Unfortunately, with the current health crisis there is a lot of false information, which is potentially deadly out on Facebook, Twitter, and on the internet in general about cures, and calling real info hoaxes. Be persuasive and explain how do social media companies balance freedom of speech, and stopping such false information?
· Choose your own persuasive topics to write.
** Take 10 minutes to write and 5 minutes to Revise/Edit each day.
** Remember when revising/editing to use STAR – Substitute better words, Take out what is not needed, Add words, sentences, or punctuation, Rearrange your writing.
*** Don’t get stressed about daily writing – email or through Microsoft Teams ask Mr. B questions. I will be checking in.
Persuasive Argument Essay/Documentary
· Start to write down the three main reasons you will use in defending your argument for the essay topic you were working on before school stopped. For now just write down point form (or draw it out on paper if you can’t write on the document or print) your observations and facts you already know for each reason.
· Next week we can work on collecting research. (unless you have time this week)
· Don’t worry about other perspectives block yet. (next week)
· Also, you don’t have to write your hook and thesis yet. It is only there to think about.
· Please post ( if you want to, you don’t have to) your favorite one piece of writing this week wither on your Class Microsoft Team’s page called 7B or 7M ELA (For Mr. Bosma) for all to see, or email it too me if you can. There is no need for extra stress at this time if that is not possible. It is ok.
· You can also ask questions to Mr. Bosma on the Microsoft Teams page.
Miss you all