Posted: April 13, 2020
There is Mr. Bosma’s email address and an Office web link on the right hand side of this Teacher Page under Pages.
**Special Note to Parents/Guardians: The reading, writing and speaking curriculum activities for your child on this page are all suggestions for how they can continue to build on literacy skills. I realize as a parent myself that these are stressful times, and that I can’t be there as their teacher to help each student like in a classroom. Please allow them to do what they can and reach out to me by email (listed on my Teacher Page) if you have any questions.
Please email me if students are having a difficulty with usernames or passwords. Also, they can use loose leaf (take photos of), Notes apps on their phone, their phones, ipads, computers, whatever is the least amount of stress to write. If students can’t send me their favorite writing of the week through Microsoft Office with either email or through Teams that is ok. Only if it is possible.
Take care and stay Safe.
Part A: Reading
If you have books or kindles (e readers) at home that is great.
If not, see the below free online e book and audio book links:
Free Online Reading Choices are: (The Links are also on Weblinks on my Teacher Page)
1. NB Public Library site (if students have a library card for e books and audio books)
2. (Use your school computer user name and log in – may need to type nbss\ before your user name.)
**When you get to the page you search for school as New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
3. Audible (Audio Books)https://www.audible.ca/ - Scroll to the bottom of the home page and there is button on how Kids/Teens can listen to books for free. There are books to teen reading.
Reading Expectation: 6H 30 minutes a day and 6Yake 20 minutes(as you also have reading for F.I. Language Arts (more if you wish, reading is also for enjoyment and an escape to get your mind off the world).
· This week grade 6s read a book of your choice.
· **Attention Students in 6 Yake. If you have your biography book home, you can continue to collect notes about your biography, but if you don’t that is ok, you don’t have to. There is a PDF document under Mr. Bosma’s documents on this page to remind what to write down if you have your biography.
· Record notes on interesting, exciting, and what you feel are important parts of your book- Record in either a binder, duotang, on a Notes App on your cell phone, an ipad/tablet, lap top, or what ever works best for you.
· Just like your reading responses this year you can write down:
I wonder….. If I were that character…. I can see a clear picture of….I feel sorry for…..Wow that was amazing because….I think or predict that……
Part B Writing Expectations this Week (Mon April 13 – Friday April 17):
** Choose to write the best method and easiest method for writing –
Either with a: Duotang/binder with paper, Notes on your cell phone, ipad, computer, what ever is the least stressful to you – Just try to save it.
(Choose, or your own topic, to write about 3 topics for this week. Take a photo, or type in and either email or put in Teams your favorite piece of writing this week)
· Please find Persuasive Strategies for Success sheet under Mr. Bosma’s teacher page documents for your writing this week.
· Explain the best ways or new activities you have been doing while stuck at home this past month to keep you from being bored. Be persuasive.
· Who are some everyday heroes that we are now noticing in our communities during this event – Hospital workers, first responders, grocery store workers, Food delivery and other businesses, and all other essential workers. Are they not more important than You Tube and Tik Tok stars?
· Mr. Bosma always says we are to stuck on our phones and social media, but be persuasive and please explain why social media video chats, face time etc. is so important now.
· Since all sports has stopped during this crisis, explain by being persuasive what are the 3 best old classic games you have watched (from any sport) and what made them so fantastic.
· Choose your own persuasive topics.
** Take 10 minutes to write and 5 minutes to Revise/Edit each day.
** Remember when revising/editing to use STAR – Substitute better words, Take out what is not needed, Add words, sentences, or punctuation, Rearrange your writing.
*** Don’t get stressed about daily writing – email or through Microsoft Teams ask Mr. B questions. I will be checking in.
Remember to take some photos or videos of being outside, and showing me some of the physical and outdoor activities you have been doing, or what you are doing to keep your mind moving. You can share them (only if you want to, don’t have to) to my email or on our Microsoft Teams Class with everyone: 6H ELA (For Mr. Bosma) or 6Y ELA (For Mr. Bosma)