Posted: April 6, 2020
Grade 8B Learning at Home with Mr. B – Week 1 April 6-9 (April 10th is Good Friday, a religious holiday for many to take time with your families)
**I will be calling Monday afternoon and can refresh you on your school user name which you can write down or put in your phone. You will need it for Office 365. (If you forget your password you can email me to let me know).
There is an Office web link on the right hand side of this Teacher Page under Pages. Your email is your email@example.com to get in.
**Special Note to Parents/Guardians: The reading, writing and speaking curriculum activities for your child on this page are all suggestions for how they can continue to build on literacy skills. I realize as a parent myself that these are stressful times, and that I can’t be there as their teacher to help each student like in a classroom. Please allow them to do what they can and reach out to me by email (listed on my Teacher Page) if you have any questions. Take care and stay Safe.
Part A: Reading (Links to free online reading under Weblinks on this page)
If you have books, kindles (e readers) at home that is great.
If not, see the below free online e book and audio book links:
Free Online Reading Choices are: (The Links are also on Weblinks on my Teacher Page)
1. NB Public Library site (if students have a library card for e books and audio books)
2. (Use your school computer user name and log in – may need to type nbss\ before your user name.)
**When you get to the page you search for school as New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
3. Audible (Audio Books)https://www.audible.ca/ - Scroll to the bottom of the home page and there is button on how Kids/Teens can listen to books for free. There are books to teen reading.
Reading Expectation: 30 minutes a day (more if you wish, reading is also for enjoyment and an escape to get your mind off the world).
· This week just get back into individual reading of a book of your choice.
· Record notes on interesting, exciting, and what you feel are important parts of your book- Record in either a binder, duotang, on a Notes App on your cell phone, an ipad/tablet, lap top, or what ever works best for you.
· We will be building toward various different ways to publish book promos through technology eventually.
· Starting next week we will do some real world reading beyond the personal choice book you pick.
Part B Writing Expectations this Week (Mon – Thursday):
** Choose to write the best method and easiest method for writing –
Either a: Duotang/binder with paper, Notes on your cell phone, ipad, computer, what ever is the least stressful to you – Just try to save it.
Capturing this Time in History
You are living through an unprecedented moment in history. Stories about this period of time will be told for generations to come, so you can capture how this event is affecting you, your family, your school and your community.
I suggest that you start writing every day in an attempt to capture this history in any way you would like and keep your writing skills going. I’ve listed some suggestions below, but feel free to come up with your own ideas. ** Share your favorite piece of writing with Mr. Bosma on Thursday by going to Office 365 through with Microsoft Teams or through your Email (if you can, don’t worry if that is not possible it is ok).
(Choose, or your own topic, to write about 3 or 4 topics for this week)
· Capture how your school year has been disrupted- what are you missing?
· Discuss how your daily life has been disrupted, or changed. What have you learned?
· Share the effect this isolation has had on your friends and family
· What have you been doing with your time?
· Be Persuasive: (Use the Persuasive Strategies for Success – There is a Word Document under Mr. Bosma’s Teacher Page under Documents. – Please be persuasive in explaining the best things you have been doing to keep your mind and body active, and what helps you relaxed and chill?
** Take 10 minutes to write and 5 minutes to Revise/Edit each day.
** Remember when revising/editing to use STAR – Substitute better words, Take out what is not needed, Add words, sentences, or punctuation, Rearrange your writing.
*** Don’t get stressed about daily writing – email or through Microsoft Teams ask Mr. B questions. I will be checking in.
** Capture Visually/Audio Choice - Have some fun. Move around your home and yard capture what you are doing.
If you want to add to your journal capturing history you may(choice) take videos, photos, audio, and art work if you wish to help explain what you have been doing, what is keeping you active and the people in your family (ask permission of course) who are in this to help you. Stay positive! Please post ( if you want to, you don’t have to) your favorite one piece of writing this week wither on your Class Microsoft Team’s page called 8B (All we do is win) for all to see, or email it too me if you can. There is no need for extra stress at this time if that is not possible. It is ok.
I miss my homeroom mornings and even dismissal (home time) with you 8B so much! Thinking of all of you. Please reach out with questions for me to my email on this page.