Posted: April 6, 2020
Grade 6H and 6Yake Learning at Home with Mr. B – Week 1 April 6-9 (April 10th is Good Friday, a religious holiday for many to take time with your families).
There is an Office web link on the right hand side of this Teacher Page under Pages.
**Special Note to Parents/Guardians: The reading, writing and speaking curriculum activities for your child on this page are all suggestions for how they can continue to build on literacy skills. I realize as a parent myself that these are stressful times, and that I can’t be there as their teacher to help each student like in a classroom. Please allow them to do what they can and reach out to me by email (listed on my Teacher Page) if you have any questions. Take care and stay Safe.
Part A: Reading (reading links are under web links on this page too)
If you have books or kindles (e readers) at home that is great.
If not, see the below free online e book and audio book links:
Free Online Reading Choices are: (The Links are also on Weblinks on my Teacher Page)
1. NB Public Library site (if students have a library card for e books and audio books)
2. (Use your school computer user name and log in – may need to type nbss\ before your user name.)
**When you get to the page you search for school as New Brunswick Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
3. Audible (Audio Books)https://www.audible.ca/ - Scroll to the bottom of the home page and there is button on how Kids/Teens can listen to books for free. There are books to teen reading.
Reading Expectation: 6H 30 minutes a day and 6Yake 20 minutes(as you also have reading for F.I. Language Arts (more if you wish, reading is also for enjoyment and an escape to get your mind off the world).
· This week just get back into individual reading of a book of your choice.
· Record notes on interesting, exciting, and what you feel are important parts of your book- Record in either a binder, duotang, on a Notes App on your cell phone, an ipad/tablet, lap top, or what ever works best for you.
· Just like your reading responses this year you can write down:
I wonder….. If I were that character…. I can see a clear picture of….I feel sorry for…..Wow that was amazing because….I think or predict that……
Part B Writing Expectations this Week (Mon – Thursday):
** Choose to write the best method and easiest method for writing –
Either a: Duotang/binder with paper, Notes on your cell phone, ipad, computer, what ever is the least stressful to you – Just try to save it.
I suggest that you start writing every day in an attempt to capture this history in any way you would like. I’ve listed some suggestions below, but feel free to come up with your own ideas. **
(Choose, or your own topic, to write about 3 topics for this week)
· Discuss how your daily life has been disrupted, or changed. What have you learned?
· Persuasive Skill Writing
· What have you been doing with your time?
· Be Persuasive: (Use the Persuasive Strategies for Success – There is a Word Document under Mr. Bosma’s Teacher Page under Documents. – Please be persuasive in explaining the best things you have been doing to keep your mind and body active, and what helps you relaxed and chill?
· Explain the best physical activities to do to just get out of the house and be outside over these past 3 weeks. Be persuasive.
· Choose your own topic
** Take 10 minutes to write and 5 minutes to Revise/Edit each day.
** Remember when revising/editing to use STAR – Substitute better words, Take out what is not needed, Add words, sentences, or punctuation, Rearrange your writing.
*** Don’t get stressed about daily writing – email or through Microsoft Teams ask Mr. B questions. I will be checking in.
Take some photos or videos of being outside, and showing me some of the physical and outdoor activities you have been doing, or what you are doing to keep your mind moving. You can share them (only if you want to, don’t have to) to my email or on our Microsoft Teams Class with everyone: 6H ELA (For Mr. Bosma) or 6Y ELA (For Mr. Bosma)